Attendees to this symposium will gain knowledge and expertise in the recognition of children with functional neurologic disorders (FND), particularly those manifesting as non-epileptic seizures and movement disorders. Additionally, participants will learn how to communicate a diagnosis to patients and families, as well as how to develop a plan of care and treatment that results in a lessening of disability and a resumption of normal participation for the child.
- Appropriately consider the place of functional neurologic disorders in the context of pediatric disorders of movement and pediatric paroxysmal disorders.
- Effectively explain the diagnosis of functional neurologic disorders to families and children.
- Develop and implement appropriate treatment plans for children with functional neurological disorders and their families as a result of this educational session.
- Accurately and confidently diagnosing functional neurological disorders in children.
- Communication with families and children about functional neurological disorders.
- The creation of effective treatment and management plans for children with functional neurological disorders.
Leon Dure, MD; University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Functional Neurologic Disorder Presenting as a Movement Disorder in a Pediatric Patient
Shekeeb Mohammad, MD, FRACP, PhD
The Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizures in a Pediatric Patient
Leon Dure, MD; University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Practical Treatment and Management of Functional Neurological Disorders in Pediatric Patients
Aaron D. Fobian, PhD
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA