The First ICNA-CNS Central American Paediatric Neurology Meeting was held in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. From September 24 and 25th-2015 (Primer Congreso Centroamericano organizado por la asociación de Neurología Pediátrica Internacional (ICNA), la Sociedad de Neurología Pediátrica de U.S.A. (CNS) y la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Honduras. Septiembre 24 y 25 del 2015. ).
The meeting organized by the Child Neurology Society (CNS) and International Child Neurology Association (ICNA) in collaboration with "Universidad National Autónoma de Honduras (UNAH)" was a great success with over 450 participants including paediatric neurologists, paediatricians, medical students and allied professionals.
Dr. Julieta Castellanos (current Chancellor of UNAH) and Dr. Marco Tulio Medina (current Dean of the Medical Faculty and Chair for the Latin American branch of ILAE and WFN) had lent their full support to the event. The organizing committee included in addition, Drs Hebel Oziel Urquia Ozorio (Honduras), Dr. Rene Silva ( El Salvador), Dr. Ken Holden (USA) and Dr. Jorge Vidaurre (USA).
The conference was held in the main auditorium at Universidad National Autónoma de Honduras (UNAH) with excellent logistical support from the University of Honduras.
The conference highlights included lectures from a panel of excellent speakers including :
- D. Kenton Holden. Professor of Neurosciences and Pediatrics at Medical University of South Carolina (MUSK).
- Dr. Robert Rust. Professor of Pediatric Neurology, University of Virginia.
- Dr. Debabrata Ghosh. Director, Movement Disorder Clinic and Associate Professor at Nationwide Children's Hospital - The Ohio State University.
- Dr. Marco Tulio Medina. Director of the World Federation of Neurology (WFN) for Latin American, Chair of the International League against Epilepsy for Latin America and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine at the National University of Honduras (UNAH).
- Dr. Jose Antonio Samra. Co-Director of the Pediatric Department at the National University of Honduras (UNAH).
- Dr. Angel Hernandez. Chief of Neurology, Director, Department for Magneto- Encephalography and Co-Director for The Jane y John Justin Neurosciences Center, Cook Children Health Care System Fort Worth.
- Dr. Jorge Vidaurre. Chair of the International Committee, Child Neurology Society. Director, Pediatric Clinical Neurophysiology Program and EEG laboratory at Nationwide Children's Hospital-The Ohio State University.
The lectures were complemented by a selection of brilliant scientific posters with certificates awarded for the best scientific work.
The lectures were on a wide range of topics and addressed key issues including the importance of screening tools for the diagnosis of autism ( M-CHAT R/F), the involvement of Pediatricians in the diagnosis and treatment of developmental disorders, the early Identification of metabolic disorders in neonates and young infants and use of head circumference charts.
Algorithms for spasticity management , creating local protocols for management of Status Epilepticus, recognition of epilepsy syndromes in infancy and childhood and the diagnosis and management of regional CNS infections were among other topics discussed at the meeting.
The organizers are extremely grateful to Dr. Marco Tulio Medina and Dr. Hebel Oziel Urquia Osorio who played a vital role in the organization and development of this important meeting.
Jorge Vidaurre M.D.
Chair International Committee, Child Neurology Society
Director Pediatric Neurophysiology Program
Director EEG laboratory
Nationwide Chidlren's hospital
The Ohio State University